By Bridgit Kasperski, Senior
Hello finals week! Our students are currently gearing up for a challenging finals week by living in the library and holding numerous study parties. Finals week can be really tough, but it doesn’t have to be! Your first college final can be really scary, so we are here to help you out!
First, let’s discuss the differences between high school tests and college exams. In high school, you take a lot of tests that cover small amounts of information. In college it’s not uncommon for only a midterm and a final, both covering large chucks of material. For high school tests, you may get away with not studying too much. In college, prepare to live in the library before a huge exam!
Now, let’s learn how to dominate those final exams! During finals week, you have no classes. All you do is study (a lot), drink coffee (a lot), have library dance parties (we think Michael Jackson always calms the nerves) and take those tests.
1. Start early! Begin making flashcards during the first week of classes so you don’t waste time later on. This dedication is the difference between a “C” and an “A”!
2. Study with friends. If you have your best pals waiting for you at the library for a study session, you are more likely to go.
3. Turn off distractions. We love social media (we have a Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube accounts too!) but to really focus, you have to turn it off. Instagram is going to have to wait until you receive straight A’s.
4. Give yourself a break. Don’t stress yourself out any more than your classes already are. Breathe! Feel free to study for an hour and head to Zumba or take a stroll downtown. Don’t allow finals week to give you headaches, lack of sleep or mood swings.
5. Utilize your professor or TA (teacher’s assistant). A lot of students think their teachers are too buys to help them study. Guess what…your professors will always make time for you! They are also your best resource; they make the final after all!
If you follow these tips, you will leave your finals with your head held high with pride! Final exam week is not a time to give up, it’s a time to show us what you got and be a rock star! You got this!
*All photos on this blog were acquired from the Internet for educational purposes only.